Crock Posole
Makes: 8 to 10 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 2 hours 30 minutes
Cook: 2 hours 30 minutes
Ingredients
- 2 14-1/2-ounces cans golden hominy, drained ( I use white)
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chili peppers, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts and/or or thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 14-1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 14-1/2 ounces cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin ( I use more! I ♥ cumin!)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- Fat-free dairy sour cream (optional)
Directions
1. Place hominy, chili peppers, onion, garlic, chicken, tomatoes, chicken broth, oregano, and cumin in a 3-1/2, 4-, or 5-quart crockery cooker. Cover and cook on low setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high setting for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Stir in cilantro. Garnish each serving with fat-free sour cream, if desired. Makes 8 to 10 servings.I also garnish with baked corn tortilla strips... Brush a few soft corn tortilla's with canola oil, stack & use kitchen shears or a pizza cutter to cut into strips... Place on baking sheet & bake until crispy... sprinkle on top of soup & serve with sour cream. Very Yummy!
And for Dessert...... Apple Pandowdy Aka Apple Dowdy
Apple Dowdy is an apple pie baked in a skillet that is served turned upside down.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Ingredients:
- pastry for 2 crust pie ( you can use the ready-made found in the refrigerated section of grocery store)
- 2-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 7 cups tart, cored, peeled and sliced apples (about 10 - 12 apples)
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, butter, and 1/2 cup pecans. Sprinkle over bottom of 10-inch oven proof skillet. Roll a little more than half of pastry 1/8-inch thick and lay over mixture in bottom of skillet, bringing up to cover sides. Arrange alternate layers of apples, 2 cups brown sugar, cornstarch and remaining pecans in pastry. Roll rest of pastry and lay over top, pressing tightly to sides of pastry in skillet. Prick well with fork. Bake for 1 hour. Turn upside down and serve with whipped cream.I never turn this out onto a platter... I bake this in a big pottery bowl & spoon it out into individual dishes & serve. I have also made it without the cornstarch... Hubby likes it with Ice Cream & I like it served with just a little whipped cream!
So this is what I'm fixing for dinner! If you try these recipes let me know what you think...
Sweet Blessings to all of you! ~ T ♥
Hi Teresa! Sounds DELISH!!!
ReplyDeleteI don't have any plans to carry crowns at the moment, but I know they are a bit hard to find...try Heather Bullard's website, I think she carries a few different ones...
:) T
Yum, T! These look delicious. I love cumin too, but cilantro not so much, maybe I could make it with something else as a seasoning.
ReplyDeleteWe had 5 inches of rain here yesterday, and even more is predicted in the next 36 hours! El Nino they say is the cause - oh well!
I grew up on my mum's hearty soups but alas, no one in my own family shares my love of a good soup :o(
ReplyDeleteSounds like your family are in for a treat tonight!
Enjoy the rest of your week!
Angex
Hi Teresa,
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for coming by my blog & leaving such a nice comment! I'm glad because it led me to yours & it's really neat! We have the same taste in movies & books! I love Jane Austen movies...BBC Masterpiece Theater stuff & the hollywood versions too. I'm going to try to find North & South. The book you describe sounds kind of similar to one I just finished called "These is my words" By Nancy Turner. It is soooooo good. It is also historical fiction about a girl who comes of age while her family moves west during the same time period. (I think around the early 1800's).:-)
Your blog is beautiful & inspiring!!
Shellagh
That looks delicious, Teresa! I have never heard of hominy and had to google it! Not sure if we can get it here but I will certainly look out for it. Cheers Anita
ReplyDeleteTeresa, We do live in the same area!! It's such a treat meeting blog friends! I have a spot this weekend at the Vintage Source flea market outside... i'm just starting my cottage shop that i will be having in my backyard will have 3 day weekend sales 4 times a year... and will do a few flea markets and always open for appointment shopping... it's been a dream of mine so i'm just going for it. So glad I found your blog! Your soup sounds amazing... thanks for the recipe it's definitely one i'm going to make.
ReplyDeletexo,
LuLu
WOW!!! two YUMMY!!! recipes. I live on Albuquerque, New Mexico and we make posole a little different. I really like your recipe with the chicken and green chili. The apple recipe sound GREAT!!!
ReplyDeleteI like the name of your blog growing up my dad always had pink roses and when I think of him I think pink roses. I have a few pink roses in my yard just to remind me of him. I have become a follower of your blog. I love to share recipes. Come by and visit my blog and maybe do the same.
Geri
This really does sound delicious. I love that you are using the crock-pot to make the posole. It lends itself to long, slow cooking. Your apple pastry also sounds wonderful.
ReplyDeletePosole for the holidays is a must in New Mexico. THANKS!!! for the recipe.
ReplyDeleteGeri
I haven't had posole in years! I'll have to try your recipe. It sounds delicious. :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing with TATT!