Its loveliness increases; it will never Pass into nothingness; but still will keep A bower quiet for us, and a sleep Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing. ~ John Keats

Friday, October 23, 2009

I Just Found Foodie Friday

Happy Friday To all of you!  Hope all is well with everyone! We had a couple of really beautiful days here... Temps were hanging out in the upper 60's & low 70's... We are expecting a little rain... So looks as though we may have another rainy weekend.. The upside to that is we just planted grass seed in some very bare areas of our front yard... Hoping this will help it grow. The downside...Josh's soccer game will be canceled again & we will be playing soccer till Christmas.. ( not really..at least I hope not!) One thing is for sure.. My house will be full of teenage boys again... But that ok.. Someday they will all be grown & gone & then what will I do? The house will be quiet... What a sad thought!  Then I will be praying hard for grandchildren! LOL



My mind has been on food a lot lately.... Not just eating... But trying to figure out what to make for dinner. ( I guess they are kinda the same thing.. LOL). Does anyone else struggle with this? I'm always on the lookout for new recipe's & ideas... I happened across some new Blogs this week & would like to share them with you! The first is Dining With Debbie... She Hosts an event every Wednesday called Crock Pot Wednesday.. If you have a favorite Crock Pot Recipe to share.. You can link up your recipe you have posted on your blog.. Here's the link to her Blog....http://diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com/2009/10/crock-pot-wednesday-giveaway-and.html 

The second one I came across is Foodie Friday hosted by Gollum... Here's that link...
http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/   I also posted the link on my sidebar ... You can just click on the picture & it will take you to Designs By Gollum Blog.



Your head will be swimming with recipe idea's!!! & I'm sure you will see some awesome blogs & meet some wonderful people!!



And Here's a Crock Pot Recipe I plan on making this weekend... I think this will be great served over rice.


Spiced Pepper Steak


1 1/2 pounds round steak, cut into strips about 1 x 3-inches
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sugar or sugar substitute
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with juices
2 medium green bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips
1/4 cup cold water blended with 1 tablespoon cornstarch

Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat; brown beef strips quickly. Drain beef and place in crockpot then top with onion.

Combine soy sauce, garlic, sugar, salt, pepper, and ginger; pour over beef and onion. Cover slow cooker; cook on LOW setting for 6 hours. Add tomatoes and green bell peppers; cook 1 hour longer. Stir cornstarch mixture into the pot; cook on HIGH setting until thickened.
Serves 6.

And for Dessert.... A Yummy Pumpkin Cake Roll.......

 EASIER WAY.....I skip the Tea Towel step & flip the cake over onto a clean sheet of parchment paper.. slowly peel off used parchment sheet... sprinkle cake roll with powdered sugar & then roll up in new sheet of parchment till cooled & ready to spread with filling...( You can now usually find rolls of parchment paper in your grocery store.) Excellent stuff for baking! I wouldn't be without it! (You can bake a whole sheet pan of bacon in the oven using parchment paper! Much faster & easier then pan frying & less mess too!)


Pumpkin Cake Roll

Ingredients:

  • 3 Eggs
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 2/3 cup Pumpkin
  • 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
  • 3/4 cup All-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon Baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon Ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • .
  • Filling:
  • 8 ounces Cream cheese -- softened
  • 4 tablespoons Butter -- or margarine
  • 1 cup Powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla

Preparation:

In large bowl, combine eggs and sugar, beating with an electric mixer until thick and light yellow in color. Add pumpkin and lemon juice, mixing until blended. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, spices and salt. Add to egg mixture, mixing well. Spread batter into greased and parchment-paper lined 10-by-15-inch jelly-roll pan.
Bake at 350 ° for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool for 15 minutes. Place cake on clean tea towel sprinkled liberally with powdered sugar. Cool 10 minutes longer. From 10- inch side, roll cake up in towel. Set aside.
While cake is cooling in towel, prepare filling. Beat together cream cheese and butter; stir in powdered sugar and vanilla and blend until smooth.
Unroll cake. Evenly spread filling over cake. Roll up cake (without the towel). Wrap in plastic wrap. Cover and chill at least 1 hour. Slice before serving. Keep leftover slices refrigerated. This pumpkin roll freezes well.

Hope all of you have a Beautiful Weekend!!   Blessings ~  T ♥






7 comments:

  1. love pepper steak and the pumpkin cake roll sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby loves pumpkin cake roll. We had a friend that made us one every year for Christmas. She moved away about 3 years ago and I never had a recipe for it. So, THANKS!!! my hubby will love this.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both these recipes sound marvelous and the crock-pot gives you plenty of time to make the pumpkin cake roll. It will be a feast :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, these sound very, very good. Your pepper steak reminds me a lot of my Mom's swiss steak. I'll be giving that a try. Welcome to Foodie Friday :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of flipping the cake roll onto a clean piece of parchment paper. I always hate to rinse the towel before putting it into the washer. A little warning about the parchment paper it can go on fire if it falls off the pan and hits your coils. Trust me I have been there and I think I posted a post about this and the cute firemen who came to my rescue a few months back:) I am Silpat convert ever since then but I do use parchment paper here and there. I usually line my jelly roll pans with wax paper.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both recipes sound great. Hope to see you again on Foodie Fridays:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of your recipes sound delicious. It's a challenge around here to find something new to fix. Definetly going on the list of dishes to try. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Thank you for swinging by my blog, saying hello and for becoming a follower. I look forward to getting to know you. I've entered you in the basket give away...good luck.. hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete

So Sweet of you to take the time to leave a comment! That means so much to me!! Please come back & visit again soon!